Hey guys, have you all thought of some Halloween plans? Pumpkin carving? Trick-or treating? Or perhaps scaring innocent little trick-or-treaters that happen to pass by your house? I’m not a super big fan of scary animes because I can’t watch them alone past six… and even during the day, it makes me super paranoid in the house after seeing scary stuff. But here are my five spooky selections for this Halloween…
5) Higurashi: When They Cry- Up first is a supernatural, horror, murder mystery anime originally based off a game. There are a bunch of different arcs to the anime so you can either marathon this all night and go in order or find a buddy who’ already seen this entire series to guide you through to the best parts. It takes place in the year 1983 in a village called Hinamizawa. Everything seems well and fine until the day of the annual Watanagashi Festival where one person is always murdered and another goes missing… If you decide to spend Halloween on your own hiding from crazy teenage party-goers and screaming tricker-treaters, check out the Higurashi manga as well as the Umineko manga created by the same author or play the games in the dark!
4) Another– Interestingly enough, the novel of which this anime was originally based off of was published on October 29 in 2009, very close to Halloween. It takes place in a high school called Yomiyama Middle School… but prepare yourselves. The series revolves around a boy named Koichi Sakakibara and winds up in a freaky horror mystery that leads to the gruesome deaths of many of his fellow students…
3) Elfen Lied- Looks innocent on the cover of the manga and Lucy at first glance BUT it gets pretty gory. Despite the romance and fantasy aspect, there’s a lot of psychological stuff and horror throughout the story. The title actually means Elf Song and takes place in Kamakura, Japan. The show really goes into themes of prejudice, alienation, violence and social conflict between the humans and the Diclonius species (genetically mutated creatures that resemble humans)
2) Mirai Nikki: Future Diary- One of the most popular animes out there. You’ve probably encountered this series or art somewhere on the internet with the wonderfully charming pink haired girl with the sky blue uniform and the undying devoted stalker murderer buddy. All joking aside, if you’ve really never heard of Future Diary, it’s about a boy named Yuki Amano who spends WAY too much time writing a diary on his phone and talking to his imaginary friend, Deus Ex Machina and Deus’ servant, Murmur. When Deus gives Yuki a diary regarding a game, Yuki is forced into a fight to the death with eleven other people who also have diaries, to become the new God of Time and Space. The girl mentioned earlier is Yuno Gasai, the famous Yandere, who ends up teaming up with Yuki… and obsessing her future happy ending of becoming one with him.
1) Deadman Wonderland- Written by Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou, the writer and illustrator of the Eureka Seven manga, this action, drama, sci-fi, psychological horror anime is another of the better known stories out there if you dabble in such genres. It begins with an earthquake that shakes up the country of Japan. Ganta Igarashi, a middle-schooler survives, but he finds himself with no recollection of the accident. A figure named the Red Man massacres his entire class but leaves him alive and embeds a shard of the red crystal in him. Being convicted for the deaths of his entire class, he’s sentenced to a giant prison called Deadman Wonderland that creepily resembles a sadistic amusement park… just wait till that Corpse Carnival.
Of course, classic shounen fans can re-watch Death Note. I didn’t include it in the list because it’s such a widely known anime, it’s considered one of the big mainstream ones. There’s also a wide selection of horror movies and classic vampire movies that you might personally want to watch or re-watch (like Vampire Hunter D). There are a lot of great horror-themed animes out there. Halloween just encourages us to watch them again 😉 I hope you guys have a great trick-or-treat night or cosplay anime party. Wherever you are, I hope you have a spooktacular Halloween!!
What are you pondering today?