Hey guys, recently with all my new manga released, I’ve been flipping through a lot of my favourite series to remind myself of the events thus far which really inspired me to do this post on my top 5 manga styles.
5) Clamp- No shoujo artstyle list or discussion or forum exists without some mention of the clamp trademark. Unnaturally tall but slender and elegant bodies coupled with a manga aesthetic that seems so natural and effortless for the reader, clamp is simply timeless.
4) Ema Toyama- Creator of I Am Here and Watashi ni Shinasai!!- Missions of Love; you’ll instantly fall in love with these series from the art alone. Toyama’s style exaggerates the eyes and facial expressions, especially in close up panel shots. Its slice of life high school stories with a feminine touch to it making it very well received with the shojo demographic.
3) Jun Mochizuki- If you’ve read pandora hearts, you know what I mean. There’s a fine balance that you tread when adding subtle detail to the eyes to make them both cheery and creepy at the same time. There’s a sense of warped dimensionality to the plot and the characters are essential to bringing out this dark yet whimsical theme.
2) Yana Toboso- Tobaso’s famous Black Butler series has become one of the most well-loved series out there. Her art style boasts gorgeous landscape art, intricate character costume designs and stunning body figure action choreography making the panels flow seamlessly from one animated panel into the other, she’s truly a master at what she does.
1) Hotaru Odagiri- She is the author of Uraboku or Betrayal Knows My Name. Her artstyle really encapsulates the epitome of shoujo art. Stylistically, the smooth gradient colouring and excessive shading typical to shojo manga but she’s made her characters immensely distinguishable and impressionable. I originally borrowed the series from the library and I’m totally set on buying the actual volumes because the art is just so gorgeous.
Hope you guys liked this post, let me know what your favourite art styles are in the comments! Thanks for reading and I will talk to u guys soon 🙂
What are you pondering today?