I have to say I didn’t think I’d enjoy Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou this much because the manga didn’t appeal to me as much but I suppose the vibrant colours of the animation and the over the top acting from the … Continue reading
We return to the wonderful world of otome this season with Bonjor Koiaji Patisserrie, a show that combines two of my favourite things – GORGEOUS BISHOUNEN BOYS and DELICIOUS DESSERTS!!! OMNOMNOMNOMNOM Rating: 3/5 happy clouds WARNING: This show is fairly … Continue reading
HELLO EVERYONE, it’s that time of the season again. It’s time to take a lot at the new upcoming anime series!! This post does not encompass ALL the fall season anime releases but a rather large handful of anime I am particularly looking forward to seeing. As always I’d like to point out that these are new series I’ve chosen either because I’ve read the manga, or I had decent first impressions of the story after watching the PV and checking out the Japanese site. Also, each season as a disclaimer – my taste does lean more towards the fantasy-action, shoujo-romance, comedy-high school side of things. I do watch mecha from time to time but I don’t review much of it nor do I review a lot of horror. I love BL and will review it for my own leisure but I’m completely clueless in the Yuri genre. I’m also a huge fan of Japanese voice-actors and actresses or seiyuus when it comes to approaching a new anime. Yuki Kaji is in like… everything this season LOL
To be honest, I’ll watch everything at least once and then review what I like and what’s super popular (hopefully and usually those align). I skipped a lot of the eroge adult visual novel adaptations because I’m not into that stuff but there seems to be a lot of those this season LOL Now with all that out of the way… here’s what I’ve got…
Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)- WHOOOOOOO UFOTABLE IS BACK WITH A NEW FATE/STAY NIGHT. If you haven’t watched Fate/Stay Night or know nothing about the series, I’d advise you to go watch the first series in 2006 version and then the prequel for Fate/Zero that aired a few years later. I always live by the “watch the original before the prequel” rule but that’s just me. Fate/Stay Night is an epic action, fantasy story that follows a set of characters that fight each other to the death in pursuit of the Holy Grail which will grant any wish. Heroic Spirits are summoned by each competitor… a young man named Shiro Emiya is accidentally caught in the midst of it all… Honestly, I think that every anime fan has to have at least scene something of this Fate world because it’s such an iconic fantasy series within the medium. I highly recommend you check this out; the Fate world is huge and there is definitely something for everyone. Release Date: Oct 4, 2014
Akatsuki no Yona- This is a fantasy romance anime adapted from a manga which is currently fourteen volumes long and still running. The story is by Mizuho Kusanagi also known for series such Mugen Spiral (which I read a long time ago) and NG Life. It follows Princess Yona who starts off with everything and who ends up falling in love with her cousin, Soo-won who murders her father and is saved by her bodyguard Son Hak who then escapes with her. We can expect great performances from the main characters who are bother seasoned veterans, Yona is voiced by Chiwa Saito (Homura from Madoka Magica, Chitose from D-Frag, Kuro from Fate Kaleid Liner 2wei) and Son Hak is voiced by Tomoaki Maeno (Camus from UtaPri, Natsume from Brothers Conflict, Kou from Sekaiichi Hatsukoi). Release Date: Oct 7, 2014
Amagi Brilliant Park– Kyoto Animation is back this season with a comedy romance anime following Seiya Kanie, a high school student that has it all, looks, smarts and athletics. Cue our new mysterious transfer student ith a musket gun that transports Seiya to an amusement park… Things happen. Comedy and chaos ensue. It’s KyotoAni, you should check it out regardless. LOL Release Date: Oct 2, 2014
Bonjour♪ Koiaji Patisserie- Do you miss your otome anime series? Do you love bishounen boys that can bake? Well look no further to satisfy all your sweet tooth cravings. Bonjour Koiaji Patisserie is a romance, slice of life story that follows a girl named Sayuri Haruno who attends an elite school for baking and confectionary. The characters designs are from Utako Yukihiro who also did Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist and the Uta no Prince-sama manga so fans of those two shows can be excited for this new set of characters. This series will include all the charming voices of Yui Ishikawa, Tetsuya Kakihara, Ryouhei Kimura, Kaito Ishikawa, Hikaru Midorikawa, Katsuyuki Konishi and Wataru Hatano. There are so many sparkles in that PV I could just die. Release Date: Oct 11, 2014
Donten ni Warau- I am really looking forward to Donten ni Warau being adapted into an anime because it has an FAN-TAS-TIC cast to go with the characters – notably Yuuichi Nakamura, Yuki Kaji, Tsubasa Yonaga, Rina Satou, Mamiko Noto, Kousuke Toriumi, Kenichi Suzumira, Takahiro Sakurai and more. The story takes place in the Meji era’s eleventh year where the ways of the samurai are slowly dying. There is political and social tension because of how power’s changed hands within the government and the country is unstable. With crime rates increasing, many people are brought to these lake prisons. The main story follows three boys from the Kumo family who are tasked with transporting criminals to the prison and well… things happen. The series falls into action, historical, shoujo, supernatural and even tragedy – a pretty wide palette of genres so I think anyone could give this one a try especially if you’re into historical anime. The art style in the manga ranges from wide landscapes to narrows streets, crowds of people and of course, main character close up shots. The panels flow very smoothly in the manga so the anime should have no problem bringing it all into live time. The title literally means “Cloudy Laugh” Release Date: Oct 14, 2014
Gugure! Kokkuri-san- The story beings with a girl named Kohina Ichimatsu who ends up summorning a low rankied ghost named Kokkuri-san who turns out to be a pretty good looking bishounen fox uh… guy. Kokkuri-sana initially wants to haunt Kohina but ends up being charmed by the little girl’s nuances and decides to protect her. The vibe I get from the initial website and premise is that this is a cute romance, supernatural kind of series. If you liked Kamisama-kiss or maybe Inu x Boku which about have fox-eared male protagonists and some supernatural romance involved, you’ll want to look into the Gugure. This series caught my eye mainly because of Daisuke Ono’s role as Kokkuri. It’s kind of a mixed bag cast because you’ve got Jouji Nakata who’s a bit older and known for supporting roles as well as Takahiro Sakurai and Ryou HIrohashi. All are experienced seiyuus so we can look forward to some great voice-acting. Release Date: Oct 5, 2014
Inou-Battle wa Nichijoukei no Nakade- TRIGGER is back with Dive II Entertainment to bring you Inou Battle within Everyday Life that brings us back to the high school life meets supernatural powers story. Five students end up with interesting abilities – control time, manipulate matter and other elements, etc. However, this classic story premise comes with a bit of a twist and… not much has changed with these students. I can imagine some pretty hilarious high school scenarios paired up with strange superpowers so this series falls into comedy, romance, high school and supernatural. I’m intensely looking forward to Nobuhiko Okamoto will be starring in one of the main roles as well as the returning voice of Saori Hayami who we heard for the past two seasons as the lovely Miyuki Shiba from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Nanami Yamashita and Haruka Yamazaki, two newer seiyuus will also be getting main roles in the show so lots of new potential there. Release Date: Oct 6, 2014
Nanatsu no Taizai- Also known as “The Seven Deadly Sins,” adapted from a shonen manga. The story goes that a group of knights tried to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia. They were destroyed and disbanded by the Holy Knights who a decade later have captured the king to rule Britannia for themselves. Our heroine is Elizabeth, the third princess who goes on an quest to retrieve the Seven Deadly Sins group to help her retrieve her kingdom… I’m not a HUGE fan of the art style because the characters look very young and very shonen but I am interested in the cast which includes stars such as Yuki Kaji, Aoi Yuuki, Sora Amamiya, Tatsuhisa Suzuki *O*, Jun Fukuyama *uwaaaaa*, and even Mamoru Miyano as a supporting character. Misaki Kuno is a newer seiyuu who will also be part of the main cast. The songs are done by FLOW, GRANRODEO and Ikimono-gakaeri (this band I’m not familiar with), but we can look forward to some fantast music. Release Date: Oct 5, 2014
Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji- If you are looking for some adorable shoujo this season, this is the series for you. Cue in Erika Shinohara, a rather narcissistic high schooler who ends up lying to her friends about her romantic life. She takes a random photo of a guy and tells her friends that that guy is her boyfriend when in fact that very guy ends up being an actual student named Kyouya Sata. They do end up faking the relationship for a while and Kyouya has a rather… interesting personality. He calls Erika his dog for most of the beginning of the episode and while that bothers me in the manga, there are lots of great scenes with comedy and scenes with heart. Erika will be voiced by Kanae Itou (Elucia from Kaminomi no Shiru Sekai, Yui from SAO, Amu from Shugo Chara) and Kyouya will be voiced by Takahiro Sakurai (Atsumu from AnoHana, Griffith from Berserk, Cloud from Final Fantasy VII). There are tons of manga fans looking forward to this adaption so if you’re in the mood for a romance, check this one out. Release Date: Oct 5, 2014
Sanzoku no Musume Ronja- So apparently we can also look forward to some more Ghibli style as Goro Miyazaki, acclaimed anime creator Hayao Miyazaki’s eldest son, will be working on this new anime. The original story comes from a Swedish children’s fantasy book called Ronia the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren. Our little heroine is Ronia who gros up living among robbers in the woodlands. There is magic, clan dissension, feuding families, friendship, fairies; lots of whimsical fantasy elements we can look forward to all presented in that classic Ghibli animations style. Release Date: October 11, 2014
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso- A-1 Pictures is back again with another romance drama called April is Your Lie adapted from an ongoing manga. If you’re a fan of music-themed anime you definitely won’t want to miss out on this. Arima Kosei is a piano prodigy that has dominated the world stage of music. After the death of his mother and music teacher, he is unable to hear his own piano even though his hearing is perfectly fine. Two years later, he ends up meeting a lighthearted violinist named Kaori Miyazono who inspires and challenges him to return to the music world. I am really excited for this one because the art style looked absolutely amazing in the teaser and the last scene with Arima and Kaori was TOO CUTE. I think this will definitely fill my Ao Haru Ride void after the summer season. Release Date: Oct 11, 2014
Shirobako- Here we go again with P.A. Work this season, introducing a new comedy anime revolving around five girls striving towards their voice acting dreams. I can say that as a seiyuu fangirl I am really excited to see how this anime will portray the anime industry hahaha. The characters all have refreshing new designs and I’m really intrigued by the scenes in the PV. The girls will be voiced by Hitomi Oowada, Juri Kimuar, Haruka Chisuga, Mami Takano and Haruka Kimura, all of which are fairly new to the industry so we can expect some fun new voice-acting in this playful story. To be honest, after the trainwreck that was Glasslip in the last season, I’m just looking forward to a straightforward story that makes sense LOL Release Date: Oct 9, 2014
Sora no Method- Studio 3Hz will be releasing this lovely new supernatural anime about a group of girls who wished for a miracle that utterly changed the town. A mysterious disc hovers above the town… there aren’t A LOT of details regarding the show but the animation is gorgeous and the song is hella catchy. I get a really whimsical, sweet and somewhat tragic vibe from the PVs so this is definitely one of the new ones I’m looking forward to. Plus, each of the character designs look stunning. Release Date: Oct 5, 2014
World Trigger- Huge dimension brings monstrous aliens to Earth that humanity must fight against… this plot premise sounds strangely familiar but I’ve heard great thingsabout World Trigger so I’m looking forward to adding somne supernatural shounen action to my fall palette and hopefully you are too. The series is adapted by Toei Animation and features the new seiyuus Nao Tamura and Tomo Muranaka alongside the wonderfully talented Nakamura Yuiichi and “Mr. I’m in everything this season” – Yuki Kaji with supporting voices from Tanaka Hideyuki, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Kana Hanazawa and Rie Kugimiya. Release Date: Oct 5, 2014
Shows I ended up watching anyway…
Ore Twintail ni Narimasu (which was WAY too random to review LOLLLLLL)
OVAs I’m looking out for…
- Hybrid Child
- Kuroshitsuji: Book of Murder
- Gokukoku no Brynhildr
What are you pondering today?
“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” – Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Hello everyone, I’m a little behind on world events since I’ve been caught up in my blog bubble and my schoolwork all last week and all weekend but I really wanted to a write a post to honour International Women’s Day last Saturday. I’ve been brainstorming me these for a while now and these are just my top 5 strongest female characters…
WARNING – SOME SPOILERS BELOW!!
“This uncute appearance…I didn’t want you of all people to see me in such a state. But…this time I will protect you!” – Lizzy
5) Lizzy from Black Butler- At first Elizabeth Midford doesn’t seem like anything past your noble lady and I really hate how she was portrayed in the anime as a two-dimensional ditz. In truth, as seen in the manga, Elizabeth is actually very capable and talented especially in fencing and she will not hesitate to use those skills when it comes to protecting the one she loves. She is 150% devoted to her fiancé, Ciel Phantomhive despite his somewhat standoffish and workaholic ways and she strives to become his firmest pillar of support in life. Even though she and Ciel are really only teenagers, Elizabeth already has an internal grasp on the aristocratic and political burdens of her marriage to Ciel but she is willing to shoulder his burdens out of love all the while looking as cute as she can in her best dress.
“Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?
4) Saber from Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero- Who would have guessed that legend of legends, the King of Camelot and all of Britain, was actually a girl? Saber makes the list because of chivalrous code of honour, selflessness to take on the burdens of others and her utter devotion to her kingdom. As the strongest Class of fighters in the Holy Grail War, she’s usually a lone wolf but she grows much as a character when she learns to cherish the bonds of love and friendship with her Master and other participants of the war that she may encounter. Saber is stubborn when it comes to her ideals and will stick by them even when others condemn or mock her for them. Her selflessness allows her to empathize with the weak while her pride as a king reminds her of her duty to Britain. She is truly one of the noblest kings.
“I dream of the day when I can see your dear smile again.” – Homura
3) Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica- Homura is one of the most complex characters I have ever encountered in the anime world. In the very first timeline, she is meek and shy, but by meeting Madoka, she begins to understand the meaning of friendship and selflessness. Seeing Madoka become a magic girl to save the world in the first timeline, Homura also becomes a magic girl to protect Madoka. Homura’s powers to pause, rewind and manipulate time stems from her wish to turn back time to save Madoka from a magic girl’s grim end. She repeats the time loop over and over again, hundreds of times in order to find a way to save Madoka. She becomes obsessed with Madoka enough to discard her life as a human and a magic girl to become the antagonistic force to God Madoka in hopes that she will one day meet Madoka again on even plains. She represents the best and worst in human beings – do we do things out of selflessness or selfishness? Homura’s emotions towards Madoka have become so complex that she herself probably does not even understand the extent of them, making her an intriguing character overall.
“This world is very cruel… but it is also very beautiful.” – Mikasa
2) Mikasa Ackerman from Shingeki no Kyojin- Mikasa lost her family to bandits when she was a child, on the verge of death, she was inspired by Eren to stand up and fight and to win. She’s immensely attached to Eren and her love for her extends so far as to follow him right into the military where she becomes one of mankind’s most powerful and talented soldiers against the wrath of the Titans. Mikasa’s shining moment comes when she believes that Eren has already died and she’s ready to give up her life, but her memories with Eren inspire her to continue living in his remembrance. Even when Eren is persecuted by the military for being a traitor to the titans, Mikasa is ready to give up her life to fight for his. Mikasa reaches third place in my list because she exemplifies mankind’s strength and also its fragility.
“There is no future for those who have died… and what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood-stained hands? Is that the truth?” – Lacus
1) Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny- No one finishes Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny without falling for Lacus’ charms at least once… or twice. Lacus is a songstress and symbol of peace during the Cosmic Era where different factions are constantly at war with one another through the use of mecha mobile suits. Despite having grown up sheltered in this war torn era, she is fully aware of the political tensions between PLANT, ORB and Earth. She emerges as a pacifist who works towards a peaceful co-existence between the Naturals (who are regular humans) and the Coordinators (a more evolved species of human able to pilot the Gundam). Although Lacus does not enter the battlefield personally per se, she is forever a support to her friends and even treats her enemies with kindness. She initiates a stalemate in the war and coordinates much of the postwar discussion to establish a stable peace among the different peoples.
“Shall I take you away, to the place where dreams come true…” – Nagisa
*Honorary Mention goes out to Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad and Clannad after Story- Although Nagisa does not go through any death defying, humanity-testing quests of strength or skill, she is still an admirable character in her world. Having been born sickly and physically weak, Nagisa has been forced to repeat a year in her high school. Still, she is neither bitter nor resentful of her lot in life but faces her studies with a determination to make the best memories during her time at the school. She becomes an inspiration and source of hope to Okazaki Tomoya who has been jaded by his family situation. In After Story, Nagisa displays an overwhelming amount of bravery and resolve to bring Ushio into the world despite the very imminent possibility of death due to the strain of child birth.
Well, there you have it. My top 5 strongest female heroines. I hope you guys liked this post and like I said at the beginning, these are just my personal picks. If you have your own favourite kickass heroine you would like to share, comment below because I would love to read about her. It is always so hard to narrow down a top 5 of ANYTHING so I hope you guys enjoyed reading this!
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
What are you pondering today?
Hello everyone and welcome to Part 2 of my Shingeki no Kyojin anime. If you’re looking for Part 1, click here. And in Part 2 I’m going to touch on some overarching plot themes, the animation, ending, sound and my … Continue reading
Hey guys, it took me a while to get to Shingeki no Kyojin just because there was so much hype over the summer and I didn’t want all the fandom to skew my perception of how I reviewed the show. … Continue reading